Bordeaux



For locations like this is that I declare myself a “French culture lover”.  Actually, I still believe that I should have moved there a while ago and I think I will eventually.

Bordeaux is a city in the southwest coast of France with a very high number of students, immigrants and bikes.

The grace of this city is not based on its size but on the amount of architecture it has consolidated in such a small space.  Not only amazing to the ones that go for pure tourism – like me - but also to the ones that live there.

The journey started a bit late with my arrival at 11pm aprox.  We headed towards the city centre by bus and then Mimi and her friend (A) gave me a “short-night-tour” by railway. 

The charms of the city include – things you can’t miss:

The Market.  Colorful place with very friendly attendants willing to pose for a picture they will never see. In it you will find a bunch of seafood, which is a normal thing because of the location of Bordeaux.


Santosha and Place Fernand Lafargue.  I am not an asian food lover – my friends will know better – but I must say that it is not only the food they serve in Santosha, but some other details…  The location:  Place Fernand Lafargue is a very bohemian area, which is also the point of reunion for night events, other “cafes” in the “Place” include L’Apollo.  The Sansosha restroom:  a-must-visit piece of the place.  Big and decorated with vivid colors and with lots of flyers for concerts.






Macaroons and Canellés. 2 Master pieces of the French gastronomy.  If you ever go to this place, you should never miss trying either one of them, or both.  I myself stick to the macaroons.


The Great Dune of Pyla.  I must confess that we were 3, and I was the one that had the worst time climbing it.  For those who are a bit “chubby" or had not gone trekking recently, this is a challenge... a necessary challenge.  To meet the tallest sand dune in Europe, to get to see some of the most amazing views, is worth the effort.


Place de la Victoire.  Taking a picture with the turtle in the middle, having a beer in one of the terraces around, watching one of the University of Bordeaux campus, admiring the Arch of the Victory, getting yourself ready to start a compulsive shopping day all across the Rue Sainte-Catherine or just sitting in a bench, will make you love Bordeaux.


My personal recommendation is that you also add a biking tour through the Garonne River and a wine tasting night in the centre during your visit.


 As of me, I will definitely return to visit Mimi and continue discovering hidden places of this bohemian treasure.

Additional info:

  1.  The Port of the Moon, declared World Heritage for the UNESCO 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Train to Nha Trang

Moving, all the people moving

What about North America and the Caribbean?