Eskerrik Asko

There has been rivality between Spain and the Basque Country (Pais Vasco in Spanish) for ages now. I will not force myself to describe the situation, but it is true that some claim for Independence and others for Independence as well.
I have heard people in Madrid speaking in regards of the Basque Country as a place very hostile, difficult to live, depending on the area they say its ugly...So I have been very curious about it and joined my flatmate into an adventure to Bilbao.
As we went there, my first impression was it resembles Dublin to me. Very green, cold and wet. People carrying their umbrellas with them everywhere they go.
My second thought was.. this is such a silent place. I mean, for being the hometown of many terrorists, Its pretty quiet.
Their way of expressing their controversial ideas is by grafitti, signs hanging on their balconies...






This last picture is from a house meant for "eta" activities. We were very silent while crossing, and trying not to look a lot. Imitating the actions of others. Although people say this place is empty.



Another thing that caught our eyes, was this statue inside of a church which we have never seen before. A saint with a knife in his head. There were some other statues with this same style.

One of the last things we did when in Bilbao, was to go to the most recent Train Station. In there, there was a very pretty stained glass that explained the current situation of the Vasque people. In the very center just below the clock, the shield of the Spanish country. Which leads me to the contradiction of why do they have that, if they claim to be independent.




Despite all of that, to me, Bilbao is a pretty place with a very pretty coast and same people as anywhere. That could be more apprecciated if the weather was less rainy. People support their language, which is a good thing to me, because it keeps you closer to your roots. And we know in the end, that kids will always end up learning others, in order to be able to communicate with the rest of the world.

So when I hear a spanish saying how bad this country is, I dont think of the language as a justification.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Train to Nha Trang

Moving, all the people moving

Shanghai